Spring Term 2019
This term our topic is 'Supermarket'. Our new topic will have a science focus and teaches children about a range of materials and their properties used for packaging in shops and
supermarkets and about the issues surrounding waste and re-cycling. At the heart of this project the children will write and follow a range of instructions and develop additional skills in creating labels, lists and captions.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding by setting up and managing their own bakery and inviting parents, family and friends into school to purchase their 'Bake Off' creations.
In this project the children will learn:
• How various materials react to being heated, cooled, mixed, twisted, crushed and changed using a range of processes;
• What products are sold at supermarkets and how they are packaged;
• How to find information by interviewing, using ICT and first hand
• How to follow and write a recipe;
• How to use metric measurements of weight;
• To identify the features of a fair test;
• How to be aware of safety and hygiene when preparing food;
• To record their work in writing and through the use of digital media;
• To solve simple problems using money and recognise different coins;
• How to design and make packaging and labelling using various techniques and vocabulary.